Okay, I have a couple of non-political posts in the hopper, but I want to get this down in pixils before returning to regularly scheduled programming. So, here's what I care about at the present political moment:
- Real health care reform that does not simply reorganize the current domination of insurance and pharmaceutical companies. I would prefer a national single payer plan, but I am open to innovation.
- An economic stimulus plan that pushes investment in infrastructure, education, and and green energy.
- A complete and unambiguous repudiation of extraordinary rendition, torture, and the warrantless wiretapping of American citizens.
- A complete & final withdrawal from Iraq & no escalation in Afghanistan.
Number three will be a bright line indicator for me of the Obama administration's moral seriousness. There are also several things I don't give a hoot about:
- Hillary as Secretary of State -- might create something of a circus atmosphere, but if Obama wants her I don't have any objections.
- Same goes for bringing in seasoned professionals from the Clinton administration. I seem to recall that, long ago, in what seems like a fairy tale, president Clinton presided over eight years of peace and prosperity despite the frothing radical right's attempts to destroy him.
- Prosecuting Bush / Cheney for war crimes. Some on the left are disappointed that this appears unlikely & yes the invasion of Iraq was a crime, but a prosecution wasn't / isn't ever going to happen in any case & would consume all of Obama's political capital if it did. That's just not the way the system works & I'm not going to spend too much time regretting this. History, as Bush himself has said hopefully, will judge. (I think his hope is misplaced & that he will be judged harshly.)