- Barack Obama is not an American citizen -- because, like, he went to Hawaii to seal up his birth records not see his sick grandmother. Oh, and he's a Muslim.
- There is something in his billing records as a Chicago lawyer that will prove he has defended sleazy criminals. Question: Did he ever even practice law directly, in the sense of representing clients? And if he did practice criminal law, wouldn't it be his job to defend criminals?
- He helped his distant aunt violate immigration laws to stay in the US.
- Obama will take away people's hunting rifles. In fact, Obama is more supportive of the "individualist" interpretation of the Second Amendment than most Democrats.
- He has accepted "millions" of suspicious small donations from "foreigners" who are not allowed to contribute to political campaigns. The real motive here is transparent -- the Republican party is completely dumbfounded & enraged that millions of ordinary Americans funded a political campaign because they supported Obama's vision for the future rather than theirs, which they had assumed they had tied up.
- He will force through a "reparations" measure that will pay African Americans for slavery. This, along with other paranoid fantasies are particularly revealing because they demonstrate the way the nativist right thinks about government -- always in dictatorial terms. It's harder than that, of course, which you would know if you paid any attention to news and current events at times other than elections & treated elections as something different from team sports. Even Bush / Cheney, for all their attempts to impose a unitary executive, were not able to institute the permanent right wing government they envisioned.
- A national health care system that covers everyone in the country.
- The end of the Iraq war.
- A massive goverment stimulus package to pull the country out of its current economic nosedive.
- A way to finance higher education that does not leave graduates with massive debts.
- A plan for regaining the initiative in Afghanistan, stabalizing the situation & getting out. This will obviously require close cooperation with allies from around the region & around the world.
And this is why, girls and boys, all talk about a less toxic political atmosphere with the current Republican party is sheer nonsense. Oh sure, Obama - if we are lucky enough to wake up Wed and find him elected - could find a spare Hagel lying around, or a Jim Leach to nail into his Cabinet,and that's probably a good idea in the long run. But the reality staring us straight in the face is that the leadership of the Republican party - and a huge GOP majority having influence in the party's ideological and strategic direction -have no interest in anything remotely resembling bipartisanship.
And neither does anyone I know personally who's supporting Obama. Not with these murderous, corrupt clowns. We want the extreme right and their agenda out of our national politics, driven back to the margins of American discourse where it belongs. Maybe someone out there truly yearns for a less nasty politics, but not me, not now. Not with extremists who call me "traitor," who have listed my friends as some of the 100 most dangerous people in America or placed them on terrorist watch lists, and who, from their seat as a US Representative pronounce a candidate for the American presidency a chicken shit.If New York had early voting, I'd have already cast my vote for Obama, but I will wait to do so on Tuesday morning, with guarded optimism. Oh, and I can't resist a prediction: Obama will get 364 electoral votes & win by 7% of the popular vote.