- Articulate the relationship between alienation and the modernism of Pound and Eliot. Use specific quotations to illustrate your general statements.
- Describe the speakerâ€™s relationship to traditional systems of religious belief in Wallace Stevensâ€™ poem â€œSunday Morning.â€
- Historically, what we now call High Modernism came into being just after World War I. Read through Poundâ€™s Hugh Selwyn Mauberly, then describe the effect of the war on Pound and his fellow modernists.
- Robert Frostâ€™s poem â€œHome Burialâ€ presents us with two characters who cannot come to terms with each other. Describe the way in which the physical layout of the scene and the way the characters move within it dramatizes the moral and emotional content of the poem.
- [Everyone must answer]. Choose one scene from T.S. Eliotâ€™s â€œThe Waste Landâ€ and put it in the context of the larger poem. What is the situation? Wh is speaking? What is the tone? What is the speaker observing? Etc.
Instructions: Choose two of the first four questions and write a clearly organized, extended paragraph in response; aditionally, everyone must answer question 5.